The Historic Frank Stout Estate ~ Gardeners House
Located on a Nostalgic and rustic setting, with beautiful gardens surrounding the house. There’s nothing like sitting on the Gazebo overhanging the lake, coffee in hand, watching a stunning sunrise over the lake or a loon glide by.
Stout’s Island, where the Chicago lumber baron Frank Stout constructed a lavish summer compound for his family and friends in 1912, is straight out from our lakeshore Gazebo. The island is now a resort with cabins and entertainment.
Your get-a-way or family gathering will take place in the very comfortable Gardeners House, which, while updated, remains a nostalgic setting with a hint of rustic atmosphere that leaves you with the feeling of time slowing down. Our lake home is surrounded by both floral and vegetable gardens that include some favorite herbs!
Pines At The Lake is filled with all the comforts of home, plenty of indoor and outdoor space, plenty of places to “hide away” when you need to, and plenty of entertainment options for all ranges of interest!
A very large and beautiful yard surrounds the house, including a horseshoe court, a stand-alone cabin (Bailey’s Cottage) with a ½ bath and its own private dock area and an outside seating area. The 200’ + lakeshore includes a Gazebo and dock area with a variety of water toys standing by: Canoes, Kayaks, Paddle boards, a Paddleboat, as well as lawn chairs, picnic tables and a fire pit for your evening wind-down and storytelling.
Click on photos to view larger images in each section
Helpful Tips & Day Trip Ideas
- Retail/Shops area: Birchwood area
- Mikana–Cedar Lake Grill
- Rice Lake area
- Spooner area activities
- Hayward area events
- Tagalong Golf Course – East side of Red Cedar Lake (18 holes)
- Visit the 100-year-old Pump House for a refreshing beverage
- Cheers Bar & Grill – offering a full menu for dining and live music
- Or 18 holes at:
Butternut Hills Golf Course near beautiful Long Lake
Turtleback Golf Course in Rice Lake – Rated a 4 Star Golf Course in Golf Digest
Spooner Golf Club in Spooner, WI – PGA Family Golf Course
- Red Cedar Lake Fishing – Facts & Figures – (Washburn & Barron Counties)
- And fishing isn’t over… even after the boats are off the lake!
Ice fishing is extremely popular on Red Cedar Lake.
(Pines At The Lake has gear available too!)
- Birchwood, WI is the Bluegill Capital of Wisconsin
- Tuscobia State Trail – 65 miles of off-road trails include:
- ATV trails – Over 100 miles of trails in Barron and Washburn counties
- Snowmobile trails – 250 Miles of trails in Barron county
- Cross-country skiing & Snowshoeing
- Hunting and Trapping
- Cedar Lake Area walking trails, Bicycling, and Horseback riding
- Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame & Museum – 7-acres of amazement
- Ice Age National Scenic Trail – Trail facts about the over 1,200 mile journey that spans a total of 31 counties in upper Wisconsin
- Wilderness Walk Zoo and Recreation Park – Great day trip for the kids
- Fall Colors on Red Cedar Lake are spectacular, and on-the-road routes too
(Pines At The Lake is open for lodging year-round!)
- Red Barn Theatre will keep you entertained with popular “live” shows
Questions you might have may be answered with our FAQs HERE or use the CONTACT page if you prefer. A stay at the Gardeners House is a comfortable and relaxing retreat with lots of fun and exciting activities to suit your every whim.